Thursday, November 14, 2013

Isn't it romantic?

~me & juancho enjoying the view~
In making preparations for my southern migration I had a basic idea of what I was getting myself into.  As a founding member of Long Way Home I had already made several trips to Guatemala over the years before I finally decided to up-root & relocate.  Being the Office Manger is something that I did from the States for several years, but with each visit to our project site my desire to be on the ground grew until I could no longer ignore the voice in my head urging me to just DO it! 

Living and working in a different country comes with all kinds of changes. In "preparing" for that there is a fair amount of romanticism...focusing on an exciting &/or mysterious quality about the adventure at hand. Guilty...although having a frame of reference from my previous visits defiantly worked in my favor.  Really the only thing I knew for sure...things are gonna be different...and that's exactly what I was looking for when I headed south....something different.

As I have settled into my life here in the western highlands I've observed that while there are a great deal of things here that are different....there is a sameness that I find very comforting.  I am living a totally different kind of life then I was in the States yet there are aspects of my day to day life that are not quite different or the same.  For example....

~one of my vendors~
Grocery shopping:
State-side:  this would include hitting one (or maybe two) specific grocery stores to collect everything need for a couple of weeks 

Guatemala: at least one trip per week (but typically 2 or more)  There are a couple of grocery stores in town but most of my food is purchased in the market. Packed with stalls selling all kinds of staple goodies...onions, tomatoes, carrots, etc.  On days I'm looking for something specific....well let's just say I have grown in my ability to manage my expectations....it's a crapshoot.  The bonus....sometimes I score some beautiful local honey or fat, juicy blackberries that I didn't even know I wanted! 

Cooking:
State-side: all the ingredients/supplies I might need are either already in my kitchen or can be easily procured in order to create tasty delights for all to enjoy....(I like baking so typically there is plenty to go around).

Guatemala: planning is key in this environment...that & the ability to fly by the seat of your pants when it comes to making substitutions in just about every recipe I know. Also required, the ability to adapt to a somewhat rustic cooking environment...my kitchen is AMAZING but it looks nothing like my kitchen State-side...no fridge...no oven...limited counter space & utensils.  Think fancy camping/outdoor kitchen.   With a little spunk & some creativity...I can still bake some pretty amazing tasty treats!

Reading:
State-side: this activity usually takes place in a variety of places...my back yard, front porch, at a park, by a pool & of course in bed.

Guatemala: actually...I live in a park so with the exception of "by a pool" everything else still applies. However, my view from the park here is a SERIOUS upgrade!

Commute to/from work:
State-side: hop in my truck...sit in traffic....spend time contemplating how to work from home or convince my boss to alter my hours so I can avoid the whole mess.
~the carpool lane~

Guatemala: grab my backpack & start walking w/ at least one dog in tow...usually Juancho.  It's about a mile door to door & during that time I get to see all kinds of visual gems. The growth cycle of whichever crop is soaking up the sunshine...right now it's corn, strawberries & peas.  The graceful shift in the sky as the sun rises. Wildflowers sparkling with drops of dew.  Every now & then a farmer walking to his fields with his cow(s).  It's lovely...even when it's rainy, muddy, dark or cold....just lovely.

When I talk to my friends & family about some of these things I am met with a look of either romanticism or terror...actually...it is some combination of both.  Usually I end with saying something like, "It's hard to imagine, you really have to see it" & "I know it sounds strange but I love it!"  In return there is smiling & nodding....& a hint of "this chic is a wackadoodle"....again, guilty.

So, this month marks 18 months of living in Guatemala....a bit of a milestone.  And this adventure has been full of amazing, challenging, surprising events...some romanticized...for sure.  There have also been some very trying moments...days...weeks...but that is true of any passage of time.  So I choose (most days) to focus on the rays of sunshine, the flowers in bloom, the blackberries & honey...& the opportunities for laughter that presents itself daily.



2 comments:

  1. I love your life in Guatemala and so enjoyed reading your blog.! Sounds like you are very happy with where you are and what you are doing and that is what is soo important. Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~L~
    it's true...i'm in love with my life! i'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying my blog...it's been a lot of fun to write :)

    big love & kisses
    ~l~

    ReplyDelete