Friday, June 22, 2012

To err is human, to forgive, canine




Our first road trip together...the day after we met.
Fifteen years ago today my life changed.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I took a leap of faith and it was one of the best choices I ever made.  Today is the anniversary of the meeting of two souls; the day Jake & I found each other....one of the happiest days of my life so far.  In contrast, this week also marks the parting of two souls; one year ago our path in this life diverged...one of the most difficult days of my life so far.  So, in honor of such a life altering blessing  I will be musing about Jake & our life together...

I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I saw that little black pup; belly swollen with worms, whining & shitting all over the place...but damn he was a cutie!  As soon as the neighbors said he didn't have a name it was over for me...we belonged together & so our journey began.  At the time he was tiny, way to young to be away from his mama, but lucky for him, he had a new mama & I wasn't about to leave him behind, which set the stage for our time together.

What a sweet face!
Jake was a road dog from the the start.  If I went somewhere, he went with me.  As a pup it was fairly easy, because he was so dang cute that it was difficult for family & friends to deny him access to their homes...all wagging tail & floppy ears.  However, as time passed & he started becoming a DOG it got a little tricky; a pup is one thing, but a 90 lb beast is quite another.  I will say however, that my family & friends adapted very well & continued to invite us both into their homes.   Jake was always very well behaved, but he shed like CRAZY...black hair all over the place, for days after we departed.  I know that it was a huge gesture for some...having a huge dog in a dog-free or small-dog house & I will be forever grateful.

Today, in Guatemala I am surrounded by dogs.  My Long Way Home family includes a pack of six: Suze, Indie, Lucy, Osita, Obi & Whiskey...not to mention the steady stream of chuchos (street dogs) that are a part of my everyday life.  There is lots of doggie love & interaction to go around & I am grateful for that.  It is different, but different can be good....challenging, but good.

One of my favorite photos
When I am sitting on the porch surrounded by the sights & sounds of the mutts running around I think of Jake...I wonder how he would have fit in to all this doggie activity.  I imagine that he would play for a bit & then he would come lean against me to make it clear that I am his person, making sure other dogs didn't forget that I was spoken for...like he did hundreds of times during our time together.

Out on the road, Jake & I saw many sights.  We put over 150,000 miles on my truck, together.  So, being without him is...indescribable.  Our family has always had dogs, but Jake wasn't a family dog, we were a pair, I belonged to him & he belonged to me....a pack of two...all others were tangential...I miss that. 

Another one of my favorites
Dear Jake,
You changed me, forever.  Loving you is one of the greatest things that I will ever do in my life.  You helped me learn what it means to love another more than myself.  Many would say that you lucked out the day we found each other...but I am the one who hit the lottery.   Until we meet again I will hold you in my heart & mind.  I miss you lovebucket...everyday.
Besos,
Mama

PS: I really miss the way you used to sneeze with such veracity that you would hit your head on the floor...it never got old & I still think of those times (along with a thousand others) and smile.  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. i can appreciate how jake always let me know unequivocally that was his spot i was occupying when i slept in your bed and how though grudgingly he always gave it up. also a time when jeff was still in diapers and he was bending over to look in jake's mouth while steadying himself by holding on to jake's ear- it was one of those moments where it could have gone either way but jake just let him nearly pull his silky black ear off. i asked jeff what he remembered about jake and he said "i always had fun with jake even though he was bigger than me" really jake is bigger than all of us in pure heart and old soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. constant gardener...thank you for your memories...& being a constant for me. besos

    ReplyDelete