Friday, July 13, 2012

Mi queso es su queso

I feel like blogging today....although nothing particularly stunning is going on right now that clearly identifies itself as "blog worthy"....but, I'm in the mood...so here we go....

always available for snuggle time!
I currently live in a park...a beautiful, lush & mostly quiet park with flowers, ferns, hummingbirds & some amazing starry nights.  I have a beautiful room that houses an extensive library, a desk, a "dresser" and a cozy place to lay my weary head.  There are two lovely cuddle monsters that are often found in my room, Meester & Chimi. 

Kristin, is Long Way Home's Volunteer Coordinator & my closest neighbor; by close I mean that she lives in the little cabaƱa (cabin) about three feet across from me.  So, she is my roommate; we share a bathroom (latrine), a kitchen, a pila (traditional Guatemalan sink) & common areas (the yard & walkways).

Kristin, working her magic in the gardens!
Before moving in Kristin & I had very little interaction.  A few phone calls, several emails but never any face time.  That we live in the same space is (potentially) complicated by the fact that we also work & socialize with each other, we are on-call 24/7 to the volunteers (who also live at the park) & as a result we are (almost) always at work.  As you might guess...this can be a bit overwhelming at times...so having a great roommate is essential to survival.  I can not put into words the sense of relief I felt when shortly after meeting in person, we both willingly admitted that there was a bit of nervousness about our living arrangements...happily, our nerves were (& continue to be) eased.  Kristin is great.
Seriously great...we are enough alike to not get under each other's skin...& enough different to not get bored with each other (so far).  She has helped me get used to the way things work around here & I am grateful for her patience....& her stellar sense of humor!


just a friendly reminder!
I'll admit, there has been an adjustment period.  I find myself in situations that challenge me to look beyond what I know...or what I think I know. I have been blessed with several opportunities to re-frame my ideas about the following: time, personal space/belongings, expectations, food, language, internet/technology, showers, transportation, appropriate dog behavior & what it means to "need" things.  It is refreshing & interesting to see things with new eyes, in a new environment.  I am grateful that I am surrounded (both physically & virtually) by thoughtful, compassionate people who help me navigate through all of these serendipitous growth opportunities.

 PS: Privacy....this is a word that has been rolling around in my head for the past few days...I could say that I don't really know why...but I'd be lying!  Re-framing this particular concept is gonna take a little longer I suspect...perhaps that will be the subject of my next blog....stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Of course we [readers] are grateful for your reflections. They bring me to a happy place; same lack of privacy. Cheers to the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are living parallel lives and I love the way you create the mirror of words for me to see myself in. Best, Gigi

    ReplyDelete