Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Remember to lean in

After reading a recent blog of one of my favorite poet, writer, goddess friends...I felt inspired.  Reading her words gave me a shot of courage to write this blog...thoughts that I've been chewin' on, or better, thoughts that have been chewin' on me.  I'd been debating the pros & cons of exposing myself like this in a blog...trying to weight the possible risks & rewards.  Then, the stars aligned when I read the words of my friend, "Honesty heals...show up authentically"...it resonated with me....& I could heard my inner adrenalin junkie say, "f*ck it...take a chance!"

Many years ago I packed up my life & moved across the country to participate in an uncertain but exciting journey.  I had no idea of the road ahead & held little expectations other than that of adventure.  Granted, it was a little crazy...but a quote I have long valued played on a loop in my mind, "Take into account that great love & great achievements involve great risk." (Dali Lama).  Oh, the mystery...too luscious to resist!   I was deeply entwined in a love affair & I was ready to explore the shimmering landscape of unknown possibilities.   So without hesitation or fear I allowed myself to dive into the intoxicating warmth of mutual adoration & the thrill of countless new experiences...it was glorious.

Years later the affair ended...it was not a scandalous or bitter end...just an end...but I felt that I had gambled...& lost.  It was a big gamble, the loss I felt was vast & in that vastness...I became a shadow.  It wasn't a conscious choice...but, I wanted to hide.  I wanted shelter...I wanted to become risk averse...to limit the possibility of losing.  So, I entered a cave...not only allowing, but encouraging myself to hibernate...to hide away.  I told myself that it was good...time would allow space to heal, to grow & to find a way protect myself in the future.

During my hibernation:
I grew...doubtful...self-conscious...lonely....afraid.
I gained...pounds...insecurities...disconnection.
I found...excuses...isolation...barriers.

I carried on with my outer life, accomplished some things, spent time with family & friends, traveled.  There was laughter, joy & other indications that I was happy....& some of the time I was.  But more often, I was hiding, letting the distance between who I am and who I was becoming grow.  I used to be somewhat fearless, a bit bold & a little wacky.  I was becoming scared, apologetic & lost.  I lived in that space for so long that I forgot myself.
Then I escaped.  Giving myself permission to lean into the possibilities...to imagine...& yes, to risk...again.  It didn't happen overnight...but it did happen.  


Loss is inevitable...we all know it.  Sooner or later we all gamble...sometimes we win...sometimes we don't.  But losing (or rather fore-fitting) the ability to take a chance  is crippling...it changes us in ways that can remove us from who we are.  It was a grand adventure, of this there is no doubt.  Just like any huge gamble, the result was life changing...looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way.  There will be other chances to take a big risk....& next time, I might loose...but I won't loose myself.

My Mama often reminds me that we all have choices...sometimes they are shitty choices, but we have them & not making a choice...is making a choice.  It's a bit confusing..but that doesn't make it any less true.  I think the same can be said of taking chances.  When it comes to taking chances we all have a choice.  Give up control...see how things play out....no matter the outcome...it will probably be pretty interesting!
.




10 comments:

  1. Amazing Lisa! You are a superb writer and enjoyed every word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      Thank for the kind words. I'll admit it was kind of difficult to push the "publish" button ;)

      Delete
    2. But that was your perceived difficulty. It touched my heart deeply. Thanks for your post, Lisa! Rock on, there is a place/perspective where no loss or gain exists - just Love and Joy :-)

      Delete
    3. VibrantEarth,
      Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! moving towards the place of love & joy...altering perspective is a work in progress...thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. funny thing about inspiration...flowing from one to the next. thanks for sending out the love!

      Delete
  3. You inspire me. Beautiful words!!!

    ReplyDelete