Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Giggles abound!

~mama...being awesome~
One of the most exciting highlights of the past month was the opportunity to host one of my favorite people from the States here in my little home away from home.  My beautiful & amazing Mama finally graced us with her presence...and presents!!  Mama arrived in Guatemala for her first ever solo international travel experience.  She had two very heavy suitcases full of goodies for me & the gang & a small overnight bag with "everything I need"...which was funny because she was here for over 2 weeks!  I was doubtful that all she would need was in that bag.  Luckily, the combination of my stuff & her low maintenance style worked together to make that a true statement.

~hey...did you just take my picture...again?~
We spent our time together hanging out around my place, visiting the local touristy sites (Antigua & Lake Atitlan), & giggling...that's right, giggling.  Mama & I have always been very close...except during that unfortunate time of my adolescence when I was busy channeling my inner dumba$$.  We typically spend a large portion of our time together making each other laugh...which comes in handy when adventuring through a foreign land.  Needless to say...we had a blast & started planning her next visit before she even left...sweet!

In other news...Long Way Home hosted another amazing service group in May.  They came to us through the Embrey Human Rights Program & Alternative Breaks at Southern Methodist University (my alma mater) & I took a special joy in hosting this group.  Not only because one of my minors while attending SMU was Human Rights, a field of study that continues to interest me, but also because I find it inspiring to meet people who thirst for information about how people move through adversity.  This group was so lively & interested in learning about our community.  They were full of questions about the 36 year civil war & the aftermath of that struggle for the indigenous Guatemalans.  The group was thoughtful & respectful of the realities that face some members of our community & it was so lovely to have them here.  They worked hard, played with the kiddos & made some amazing chocolates!  I made some new friends & I have another reason to look forward to my next trip home...drinks will be had!

~SMU group enjoying a field day with the kiddos at the park!~
As we continue to prepare for the inevitable, endless downpours that the rainy season brings it is also the time of year that we gear up for the influx of volunteers.  This is the season where we get the most traffic...no school, time off work, etc.  It is always a hoot!  We get visitors from near & far who have traveled all this way to help work on a project that they may (or may not) know that much about.  It's a crazy, fun, international extravaganza that culminates in new laughs, new memories, new opportunities, new friends & new stories...stay tuned...this is gonna be fun!!





No comments:

Post a Comment