Friday, April 19, 2013

Let's hear it for the boys!

Well, it has been an interesting month here in Guatemala.  The site is buzzing with activity...everyone is working hard to get as much done as possible before the rains start and I have to say...it's awesome to see the way the site changes from day to day.  Another interesting aspect of the past few weeks is that I am the only female staffer on site....that's right, it's just me & a bunch of dudes....I'm surrounded...& loving it!


While I really enjoy working with some of the most amazing ladies I've ever met: Genevieve, Liz & Elizabeth...it's been a fun experience being the lone female in the bunch.  These guys are funny, thoughtful, frustrating & charming.  And it's the combination of charm & frustration that has been the most exciting...at least for me.

~DJ lars making sick play lists~
First & foremost, my roomies: Lars & Ben....these guys are INCREDIBLE.  I had forgotten how much fun it can be living with dudes.  They are constantly making me laugh...deep, belly laughs that cause me to gasp for a breath.  Both Ben & Lars are great room mates who have taken it upon themselves to help me keep an eye on my pup, keep the kitchen stocked with peanut butter and provide an endless stream of one-liners & amazing music.  I mean really...it's kind of ridiculous how cool these cats are...it's like I have my own little radio station complete with killer DJs that provide entertaining banter and always play music I love...or will love.  At times the vibe around the house can be a little "bro" heavy, but it's totally worth it.  I'm reminded (almost daily) of the hilarity and honesty that guys can provide....it's refreshing...when it's not like living in a frat house...but even then, the fun far outweighs the gross boy humor, messy kitchen & their knack for getting up WAY to early in the morning!
~ben keeping in lively~




~bryan, manhandling the situation~
Then there's the construction dynamic duo....Adam & Bryan.  What can I say about these two?  I imagine that neither one of them would be too thrilled about being subjects of my blog...but they will get over it...hell, they probably won't even see this so...here we go.  It is crazy awesome being around these two guys.  There are many times I find myself eavesdropping into one of their construction conversations...most of which I don't fully understand...but to hear the exchange of information between these two is like listening to music: you're not really sure how they do it...but it sounds spectacular.  To top it off, they can actually make the
~adam, the construction mastermind~
ideas come to life...the structures are stunning, which is a direct reflection of the talent these guys have...it's inspiring.  Added bonus....they don't take themselves too seriously...so you can be sure to enjoy your time mucking around in the dirt because these two will be right there as well...keeping things comical...which is helpful when you find yourself ankle deep in a cow-poo & dirt concoction.  That's right...I said cow-poo....cow-poo is essential in green building, as is imagination...and these guys have plenty of both!

All of the guys have been relentless in their pursuit to get me out on the work site...& I couldn't be more grateful.  I spend way too much time behind a computer & the guys have been successful at getting me out of the office & into the dirt.  It's been a while since I've done physical labor & I'll admit...it makes me a little nervous to get out there with them....they can be kind of intimidating.  Not surprising...they are fantastic at setting my mind at ease...any doubts are generally put to rest quickly....typically with a healthy dose of humor....reminding me that I should not take myself too seriously...well played gentlemen...well played indeed!
~me working on site & laughing, which is not uncommon around here~

No comments:

Post a Comment